boris gets comfy
ah! my chair!
butter wouldnt melt
All until a few weeks ago was just fine, he would often come out of his cage and fly around every morning and stretch his wings, he got that way he needed to know where I was at all times calling if I wasnt in sight and whistling, he would often come down and sit on my recliner or at the back of me and loved nothing better than to settle down and watch tv , the more action in it the better he liked.
dozing boris!
snooze time
Boris Attacks!
I made it a priority to find out all I could about boris , his welfare and what he should and shouldnt eat etc , I found all sorts of conflicting information, but I did the sensible thing I asked a vet and also the local pet shop who were very helpful.
I was advised that he could have most foods not junk foods nor anything with salt as they cant under any circumstances have salt, he was given the best mixes of seed , fresh fruit vegetables, a tiny tiny piece of chip cold once a month as a treat, chicken etc in miniscule amounts, and he seemed just fine, then the fun started!
Out of the blue he started firstly dive bombing and attacking my partner, then later myself came under fire , it was very upsetting as he was a totally different bird, I researched the internet and concluded that it may be hormonal and perhaps he needed a shot.
I was advised that he could have most foods not junk foods nor anything with salt as they cant under any circumstances have salt, he was given the best mixes of seed , fresh fruit vegetables, a tiny tiny piece of chip cold once a month as a treat, chicken etc in miniscule amounts, and he seemed just fine, then the fun started!
Out of the blue he started firstly dive bombing and attacking my partner, then later myself came under fire , it was very upsetting as he was a totally different bird, I researched the internet and concluded that it may be hormonal and perhaps he needed a shot.
SNACK TIME!
DINNERS UP!!
THE SOLUTION I FOUND WAS AS FOLLOWS
Dspite this new and unwelcome behaviour , I wasnt prepared to just give up on him, as he had been let down so often before, I watched him very carefully , when he first came out of his cage each morning , flew straight to HIS recliner with its fresh towel on top (to protect my furniture from his rear!!!) he was running back and forth along the top of the chair , rapidly and frantically, It was then that it dawned on me the reason for his sudden savagery, one he was in season, ie at his sexual peak and secondly he was defending the image (self) that he saw reflected in the sideboards glass panels!
I kicked myself for not seeing this before! so the solution was so simple!! I got a sheet and draped it over the offending glass! true I couldnt view my collection anymore but voila!! no dive bombing! and the agressive behaviour whilst still there almost immediately he returned to tweeting and chirupping sweetly as before!
I HAD MY BORIS BACK........... And not the bird from HADES.
this solution might work for you too! check to make sure your cockatiel isnt defending a virtual mate or what he percieves as a rival , this could be the cause of suddent behavioural changes like those I experienced with boris , I am not saying alls 100 percent ok but hopefully once his hormones stabilise I can uncover my mirrors etc!
I hope this helps you somewhat!!
I kicked myself for not seeing this before! so the solution was so simple!! I got a sheet and draped it over the offending glass! true I couldnt view my collection anymore but voila!! no dive bombing! and the agressive behaviour whilst still there almost immediately he returned to tweeting and chirupping sweetly as before!
I HAD MY BORIS BACK........... And not the bird from HADES.
this solution might work for you too! check to make sure your cockatiel isnt defending a virtual mate or what he percieves as a rival , this could be the cause of suddent behavioural changes like those I experienced with boris , I am not saying alls 100 percent ok but hopefully once his hormones stabilise I can uncover my mirrors etc!
I hope this helps you somewhat!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment